Thursday, August 12, 2010

TianJin Treats

My first actual entry will be dedicated to... Some delectable TianJin goodies! Now, my parents and sibling all grew up in TianJin; I, on the other hand, am an Asian-American. As I do go to TianJin to visit relatives and such, its tasty traditional tapas are the things I look forward to the most!



Dou Fu Nao/豆腐脑
Direct translation: bean curd brain. Not so much appetizing eh? This silkened tofu soup definitely beats its translation. With mushrooms, chilis, vinegar, and more, the texture of the tofu slips onto the tastebuds leaving an elated appetite.
Typically, in TianJin, we would eat this for breakfast. You would be able to find this in any street vendor in the mornings. I do not see DouFuNao quite often in the States; however, much to my surprise (and happiness) there was a di dao (地道/true to its roots) TianJin eatery in Richmond, BC. I would say this was able to capture the true essence of TianJin DouFuNao. Thus I give it four out of five stars, for being able to authentic.

JianBingGuoZi (煎饼果子)
My all-time favorite. You may see this being sold all over China, particularly in Beijing street vendors, Carrefour, Walmart, supermarkets, etc... But this is TianJin's treat and specialty (and pride!). JianBingGuoZi is a pancake/crepe with egg, crispy flake, scallions, green onions, chili paste, etc... The fried crisp is added on top of the crepe and folded into a burrito-shape. The juxtaposition of the crunchiness and the egg pancake are really matched well. Why else would we love JianBingGuoZi? Definitely four out of five stars.



Overall, I am impressed by the authenticity of TianJin Flavors. Perhaps it was the lack of such tapas that led me to go to TianJin Flavors the very next day... The second time was not quite up to par with the first try. Also, the amount of MSG added for flavoring was slightly over my tolerance, and so I felt quite sluggish after indulging into my hometown favorites. Overall, I recommend! (Visited on 7/24/2010)



TianJin Flavors
President Plaza
Richmond, BC

No comments:

Post a Comment